Short CV for Lars Hellan
Professor in General Linguistics
Department of Language and Communication Studies
Degrees: Mag. art. 1971, University of Oslo
Dr. Philos. 1981, University of Trondheim
Positions: 1972-1980, amanuensis, Linguistics Dept, University of Trondheim
1980-1987, 1.amanuensis, Linguistics Dept, University of Trondheim
1987- , professor, Linguistics Dept, University of Trondheim/ NTNU
Stays abroad, as Visiting Scholar:
- Spring 1974: Subfaculty of Philosophy, Oxford University
- Fall 1974-Spring 1975: Linguistics Dept., Univ. of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Fall 1979-Spring 1980: Linguistics Dept., Univ. of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Fall 2000-Spring 2001: CSLI and Linguistics Dept., Stanford University, Stanford
- Spring 2008: Computer Laboratory, Cambridge University
Books and monographs: - Toward an Integrated Theory of Noun Phrases, doctoral diss., Univ. of Trondheim, unpublished, 1981
- Toward an Integrated Theory of Comparatives, Gunther Narr Verlag, Tübingen, 1981
- (ed, with Kirsti Koch Christensen) Topics in Scandinavian Syntax, Reidel Publ. Co, Dordrecht, 1986
- Anaphora in Norwegian and the Theory of Grammar, Foris Publ., Dordrecht, 1988
- (ed. with Mila Dimitrova-Vulchanova) Topics in South Slavic Syntax and Semantics, John Benjamins Publ. Co., Amsterdam, 1999
- (ed., with Frank van Eynde and Dorothee Beermann) Proceedings from the HPSG conference 2001, NTNU, CSLI on-line publications
- (ed., with Dorothee Beermann) Proceedings on-line from the TROSS Workshop on Multi-Verb constructions, 2003, NTNU
Project leader: - ”Central Features of Scandinavian Syntax” (”Sentrale trekk i nordisk syntaks”), sponsored by NAVF (The Norwegian Council for Research), 1984-1987
- ”The Trondheim Linguistic Lexicon” (TROLL), sponsored by NAVF (The Norwegian Council for Research), the construction of a large scale computational resource for Norwegian, 1986-1991
- ”Reflexive Clitics and Argument Structure”, sponsored by NAVF (The Norwegian Council for Research), in collaboration with EUROTYP, 1991- 1995. - Site coordinator for EUROTYP, sponsored by European Science Foundation, 1991-1996.
- NORDLEX, sponsored by NOS-H, comparative computational lexicography for four Scandinavian languages, including partners from Iceland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, 1992-1995
- "Computational Lexicography, Typology, and Adult Literacy " in cooperation with the University of Ghana, sponsored by NUFU, for the periods 1996-2000, 2002-2007, and 2007-2009.
- (as subcoordinator) ”The Trondheim-Sofia Corpus of Old Slavic”, 1996-1999
- ”NorSource”, a project towards the construction of a large scale resource HPSG grammar and lexicon of Norwegian, built with the engineering platform LKB. Part of "DeepThought". Started fall 2001 -, still actively pursued.
- Site coordinator in the EU project DeepThought ("Hybrid deep and shallow methods in information extraction"), 2002-2004
- Site coordinator in LOGON, cooperation between the universities of Oslo, Bergen and Trondheim on Machine Translation, sponsored by NFR under the KUNSTI programme. 2003-2007.
- "JaNoGram" - cooperation in Norwegian and Japanese Grammar Engineering, especially in Machine Translation Norwegian-Japanese, sponsored by NFR, on the program BILAT. 2006-2007.
- "MaLEX” –“Malawi Lexicon Project", computational documentation of three Malawian languages, in cooperation with the University of Malawi, sponsored by NUFU, for the period 2007-2011.
- "Acquisition of Nouns for Language Processing", a pilot project towards automatic acquisition of nouns for a computational lexicon, sponsored by NFR on the KUNSTI programme, 2007-2008.
- "Typology of Prepositions and their Semantic Equivalents", a pilot project towards establishing a library of a computationally usable semantic representations of prepositions and their equivalents cross-linguistically, including languages of Asia, Africa, as well as Europe, with Machine Translation as a possible application field, sponsored by NFR on the KUNSTI programme, 2007-2008.
2009a: A basic introduction to using attribute-value matrices (AVMs) in linguistic representation. Ms, NTNU
2009b: with Mary Esther Kropp Dakubu Identifying Verb Constructions Cross-linguistically. Ms., NTNU and University of Ghana.
2009c: with D. Beermann. Semantics of Spatial Prepositions in the Grammar NorSource. Ms., NTNU
2008a: From Grammar-Independent Construction Enumeration to Lexical Types in Computational Grammars. Paper presented at COLING, Workshop on Grammar Engineering Across Frameworks (GEAF) Manchester, August 2008 (http://www.aclweb.org/anthology-new/W/W08/#1700).
2008b: with Mary Esther Kropp Dakubu and Dorothee Beermann. Grammatical Feature Sequencing in the Ga Extended Verb Complex: a Semi-Formal Approach. In Dakubu et al., eds.Studies in the Languages of the Volta Basin 4.2., Accra, Ghana University Press 2008.
2008c: with Dorothee Beermann and Kalayamalani Sahoo. "What is Argument Sharing? A case study on argument sharing under VP serialization in Oriya", Bayer, Josef, (ed) Festschrift for K. Jayaseelan, Benjamins, Amsterdam.
2007a: with Dakubu, M.E.K., and D. Beermann. Verb Sequencing Constraints in Ga: Serial Verb Constructions and the Extended Verb Complex. In St. Müller (ed) Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar. CSLI Publications, Stanford. (/http://csli-publications.stanford.edu/)
2007b: On 'Deep Evaluation' for Individual Computational Grammars and for Cross-Framework Comparison. In: T.H. King and E. M. Bender (eds) Proceedings of the GEAF 2007 Workshop. CSLI Studies in Computational Linguistics ONLINE. CSLI Publications. http://csli-publications.stanford.edu/
2007c: Representing clause-internal binding in an HPSG/LKB grammar. In Branco, A. (ed) Proceedings from DARC 2007 (Discourse Anaphora Resolution Conference), Lagos.
2006: with Dorothee Beermann. Word Sense and Semantic Disambiguation of Constructions in a Deep Processing Grammar. Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC 2006). Paris, France: European Language Resources Association 2006 ISBN 2-9517408-2-4.
2005a: with Dorothee Beermann. The`specifier' in an HPSG grammar implementation of Norwegian.Proceedings of the 15th NODALIDA conference, Joensuu 2005 ed. by S. Werner Ling@JoY: University of Joensuu electronic publications in linguistics and language technology 1. Joensuu 2006
2005b. Implementing Norwegian Reflexives in an HPSG Grammar. In St. Müller (ed) Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar . CSLI Publications, Stanford. (/http://csli-publications.stanford.edu/)
2005c. with Dorothee Beermann. Classification of Prepositional Senses for Deep Grammar Applications. In: Valia Kordoni and Aline Villavicencio (eds.): Proceedings of the 2nd ACL-Sigsem Workshop on The Linguistic Dimensions of Prepositions and their Use in Computational Linguistics Formalisms and Applications, Colchester, United Kingdom, ACL-Sigsem, 2005
2005d: with Dorothee Beermann, Mary Esther Kropp Dakubu, Jonathan Brindle, Solomon Tedla, Janicke Furberg, Florence Bayiga, Yvonne Otoo.) Comparison of Comparatives. In Miriam Butt and Tracy Halloway King (editors) Proceedings of the LFG05 Conference: Stanford: CSLI-publications, 2005.
2005e: with Jonathan Brindle, Mary Esther Kropp Dakubu and Dorothee Beermann. Ga Comparatives in s-structure. Studies in the Languages of the Volta Basin 3, Accra Ghana: Accra:Ghana University Press 2005, pp 1-9.
2005f: with Dorothee Beermann. Preposition stranding and locative adverbs in German. Hans Broekhuis et.al. (editors) Organizing Grammar. Studies in Honor of Henk van Riemsdijk. Berlin: Walter de Gryter 2005 ISBN 3-11-018850-3 page 31-42.
2004a: with Dorothee Beermann, Jon Atle Gulla and Atle Prange. Trailfinder: a case study in extracting spatial information using deep language processing. In Ton van der Wouden, Michaela Poss, Hilke Reckman, and Crit Cremers (eds) Computational Linguistics in the Netherlands 2004: Selected papers from the fifteenth CLIN meeting, pp. 121-131, Leiden, Netherlands, 2004.
2004b: with Dorothee Beermann. A treatment of directionals in two implemented HPSG grammars. In Stefan Müller (ed) Proceedings of the HPSG04 Conference, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven. CSLI Publications /http://csli-publications.stanford.edu/ 357-377.
2004c: with Dorothee Beermann, Berthold Crysmann, Petter Haugereid, Dario Gonella, Daniela Kurz, Giampaolo Mazzini, Oliver Plaehn, and Melanie Siegel. DEEPTHOUGHT deliverable 5.10. Technical report, The DEEPTHOUGHT consortium.
2004d: with Jan Tore Lønning, Stephan Oepen, Dorothee Beermann, John Carroll, Helge Dyvik, Dan Flickinger, Janne Bondi Johannessen, Paul Meurer, Torbjørn Nordgård, Victoria Rosén, and Erik Velldal. LOGON. A Norwegian MT effort. In Proceedings of the Workshop in Recent Advances in Scandinavian Machine Translation, Uppsala, Sweden, 2004
2003a: with Mary Esther Kropp Dakubu and Dorothee Beermann. Preverbs in Ga. Studies in the Languages of the Volta Basin 2, s. 222-333. Legon, Ghana: Linguistic Department, University of Ghana 2003
2003b: with Dorothee Beermann and Eli Sætherø Andenes Towards a typology of Serial Verb Constructions in Akan. In Osam, E.K., and Dakubu, Mary Esther Kropp (editors), Proceedings of the annual colloqium of the Legon-Trondheim Linguistics Project, 4-6 December 2002. Studies in the Languages of the Volta Basin, s. 61-86. Legon, Ghana: Linguistic Department, University of Ghana 2003, and in D. Beermann and L. Hellan (eds): Proceedings of TROSS03 - Trondheim Summer School.Trondheim: Institutt for språk- og kommunikasjonsstudier, NTNU, 2003. http://edvarda.hf.ntnu.no/ling/tross/
2003c: with Mary Esther Kropp Dakubu. The 'verbid' construction in Ga: a VP with Adjunct function. In D. Beermann and L. Hellan (eds): Proceedings of TROSS03 - Trondheim Summer School.Trondheim: Institutt for språk- og kommunikasjonsstudier, NTNU, 2003. http://edvarda.hf.ntnu.no/ling/tross/
2003d: with P. Haugereid. The NorSource Grammar - an excercise in the Matrix Grammar building design. In: Emily Bender, Dan Flickinger, Frederik Fouvry, and Melanie Siegel (eds) Proceedings of Workshop on Ideas and Strategies for Multilingual Grammar Engineering, ESSLLI 2003.
2002a: with Dorothee Beermann. VP-Chaining in Oriya, in Miriam Butt and Tracy Halloway King (editors) Proceedings of the LFG02 Conference NTU Athens, CSLI-publications, 2002.
2001a: with Frank van Eynde and Dorothee Beermann (editors) Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar HPSG 2001 - On-line Proceedings , CSLI Publications, 2001.
2001b: On Complex Passives in Norwegian. I: Anagnostoupolou, Elena; van Oostendorp, Marc (red.), Progress in Grammar, a Festscrift for the Linguistics Department, Tilburg University. Amsterdam/Utrecht/Delft: Roquade, 2001. Meertens Institute Electronic Publications in Linguistics (MIEPiL), vol. 1. ISBN 90-70389-65-7.
2009a: A package of phenomena-oriented LKB grammars. Class material, NTNU
2009b: TypeGramm - an LKB system for verb construction types. NTNU
2002-09 NorSource – a large computational LKB HPSG Grammar for Norwegian
2005-09 GaGramm - a small computational LKB HPSG Grammar