The TypeCraft client is a pure Java application.
REQUIREMENTS to run the TypeCraft client:
* Java (version 6)
[Microsoft Windows users]
* download and run MS Windows installer: [TCc-setup.exe]
[Ubuntu/Debian Linux users]
* download the run installer: [tcc_1.9100318-1_all.deb] * if it does not run automatically, you can use the following command: * sudo dpkg -i tcc_1.9100318-1_all.deb * the application may then be started via the menu Application->Accessories, or via the following command: * tcc
* download and unpack compressed archive file [TCc.zip] * run the JAR file 'TCc.jar' inside of the TCc directory: * (double) click on the JAR file; * OR right click on the JAR file and choose 'open with Java'; * OR alternatively, you have to run the following command in your terminal: 'java -jar TCc.jar'.
The application requires a few seconds to become fully operational.
The main window "TypeCraft Client" appears when the application is fully initialized. Click on one of the buttons on the left to proceed further. The application will shut down when this window is closed (to close the window, click on the small X in the top right corner).
- "new text" button: opens a entirely new text in a new "Text" window.
- "my texts" button: displays all texts currently on your computer; can also display your texts from the main TypeCraft database.
- "phrase search": opens the "Phrase Search" window.
- "POS tags": displays the list of part-of-speech tags in the main window.
- "gloss tags": displays the list of gloss tags in the main window.
- "settings": displays configuration options in the main window.
- "about": displays a short application description in the main window.
- "log": displays the TypeCraft log in the main window.
Displays all TypeCraft texts currently on your computer. These texts were either created via the "new text" button, or were downloaded from the central TypeCraft server (via "text search).
The columns display language, text title, text title translation, and date last changed.
Select a text and right click to bring up a popup menu. Options are: "open", "local copy", "delete" and "upload". Use "local copy" to sever the connection between a local text and it's corresponding server text (any subsequent upload of the text with create an entirely new text instance on the server).
Left click on the table to open a text for editing (in a "Text" window).
A "Text" window is brought up via the "new text" button, or by opening on a text in an appropriate table (eg. "My Texts", "Text Search" results). The window may be closed by clicking on the small X in the top right hand corner.
A text contains the following editable fields:
- title translation
- (plain) text
The fields "language", "title", "title translation" and "text" must be instantiated. The "language" field provides basic tab completion.
The "notes" field is displayed immediately underneath the "text" field. Notes are stored on the local machine, but cannot be uploaded to the central TypeCraft server.
At the top of the window is a small menu: "options". Use this to close or delete the text.
At the bottom of the window are two buttons:
- "upload to TC server": use this to upload the text on your computer to the central TypeCraft server.
- "create phrases": use this to create new phrases, based on the currently selected text in the plain text field.
The text's phrases are displayed in a scroll pane in the centre of the window. Right click after selecting one or more phrases to activate the phrase popup menu:
- prepare for wiki
A "Phrase" window is brought up by clicking on a phrase in an appropriate table (eg. in a "Text" window, "Phrase Search" results). The window may be closed by clicking on the small X in the top right hand corner.
A phrase contains the following editable fields:
- validity (combo box)
- construction parameters
- construction description
- words table
The fields "phrase" and "translation" must be instantiated.
The "notes" field is displayed at the bottom of the window. Notes are stored on the local machine, but cannot be uploaded to the central TypeCraft server.
At the top of the window is a menu: "options":
- prepare for wiki
The WORDS TABLE is displayed in a scroll pane in the centre of the window. Each column is a word. Word fields are: latinised, POS, and the morpheme fields (a word is composed of one or more morphemes). The POS field is equipped with basic tab-completion. The morpheme fields are: morpheme, meaning, gloss. Glosses are represented as a "." separated list of gloss tags, equipped with basic tab-completion.
To bring up the popup menu over the words table, right click. You will be presented with the following "word" options:
- word of interest
- add word before
- add word after
- delete word
- rename word
or, if appropriate, the following "morpheme" options:
- add morpheme before
- add morpheme after
- delete morpheme
PHRASE SEARCH WINDOW
A "Phrase Search" window is brought up via the "phrase search" button.
The window consists of the following sections:
- TEXT LEVEL
- language (basic tab-completion)
- PHRASE LEVEL
- global tagset
- (fields of chosen tagset)
- constr. description
- phrase string
- translation string
- global tagset
- WORD LEVEL
- exact word
- POS or POS or POS (with basic tab-completion)
- MORPHEME LEVEL
- exact morpheme
- gloss and/or gloss and/or gloss (with basic tab completion in "." separated list)
And two buttons: "search" and "reset".
Click search to bring up search results phrase table in a new window.
PHRASES (search result) WINDOW
Click on a phrase to open it. Right click to bring up popup menu (after selecting phrases via control-click):
- prepare for wiki
Brought up via the "config" button in the main window.
- max row width (in characters) for HTML export of phrases
- typecraftCentral URL
- not editable; the location of the central TypeCraft server
- name (displays fonts which can handle the text in the test field in black, and other fonts in red)
- test field (enter problematic characters here, and check the font combo box)
- remote login
- username and password for central TypeCraft server.
Buttons: "save" (store configuration parameters), "cancel", and "hard reset" (reset all parameters to default values). Configuration parameters are stored between sessions.